Showing posts with label Daniel Agger. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Daniel Agger. Show all posts

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Rodgers explains Agger absence

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has dismissed suggestions of Daniel Agger's Europa League absence being an indicator of a move to Manchester City.



The centre-back was left out of the Anfield club's squad for Thursday evening's Europa League qualifier against FC Gomel and that sparked extra speculation.



Liverpool had rejected two bids from City for Agger and further reports had since suggested the Dane handed in a transfer request.



Agger's agent, Per Steffensen, on Thursday night did little to calm the situation by announcing his client was 'not injured in any way' before the Gomel game.



But Rodgers is adamant the injury-prone centre-back was only absent in Belarus due to fitness issues, as he said: "The plan was always for Daniel to stay behind.



"Everyone knows his history of injuries. He came back to pre-season training after everyone else and is still not up to speed.



"He is fit but I have to make sure he is up to speed before he plays, because everyone knows his history with injuries."





Agger is under contract with Liverpool until the summer of June 2014 and earlier this summer he admitted he would welcome the chance to discuss a new deal.



City could therefore find it difficult to convince their Premier League rivals to sell and reports have suggested the English champions are instead looking at Marseille's Nicolas N'Koulou.





Friday, August 3, 2012

Agger move claims denied

The representative of Liverpool defender Daniel Agger has rubbished claims the player has handed in a transfer request.





Agger has been linked with a summer exit from Anfield with Barcelona and Manchester City apparently interested in signing the Denmark international.

And Agger's omission from Liverpool's Europa League qualifier appears to have added fuel to the fire, despite manager Brendan Rodgers claiming the 27-year-old had fitness issues.

Agent Per Steffensen was unable to confirm whether Liverpool had fielded any offers but he is adamant Agger has made no request to leave Anfield.

"Liverpool will have to answer to whether they have received any offers," Steffensen said. "But the reports of Agger handing in a transfer request are purely nonsense. He is very happy at Liverpool."

Steffensen, though, did cloud the issue by insisting there is nothing wrong with his client's fitness.



"He is not injured in any way," Steffensen added. "Only the club and the manager can answer to why he was not in the squad."





Thursday, August 2, 2012

Agger absence increased the rumours

Daniel Agger's absence from Liverpool's squad to face Gomel has cast doubt over his future, with his agent revealing that the defender is not injured.



Initial reports suggested that the Danish centre-half was nursing a knock after being left out of Brendan Rodgers' plans for midweek Europa League qualifying duty.



It has, however, emerged that Agger was in contention and that it will be down to the Anfield outfit to explain his lack of involvement.



Manchester City and Barcelona are said to hold an interest in the 27-year-old, with both clubs in the market for defensive reinforcements.



Agger's agent is reluctant to be drawn on the transfer rumours, but is keen to know where his client stands.



"He is not injured in any way," Per Steffensen told Politiken.



"Only the club and the manager can answer to why he is not in the squad."



On the exit reports, and those claiming that Agger is actively looking for a route out of Anfield, Steffensen added: "Liverpool will have to answer to whether they have received any offers.



"But the reports of Agger handing in a transfer request are purely nonsense. He is very happy at Liverpool."



Agger's current deal with Liverpool is due to run until 2014 and Steffensen claims no extension discussions have been held.



He said: "We have not heard from Liverpool with regards to a contract extension."


Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Happy Agger open to signing new Liverpool deal

Daniel Agger has confirmed he is looking forward to life under Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool, and the Denmark international is even prepared to sign a new contract with the club.



Agger has just enjoyed one of his best campaigns for Liverpool, combining with Martin Skrtel at the heart of a defence that was only bettered by the two Manchester clubs in England this season. Poor home form saw the Reds struggle in the league, but a Carling Cup triumph provided some reward for Agger's consistent displays.



The cultured defender took that form into Euro 2012, producing a Man-of-the-Match display in Denmark's victory over Netherlands, and after 170 appearances for Liverpool since he joined in 2006 it was wondered whether Agger - who has not always enjoyed the style of football at Anfield - would consider moving on.



However, the former Brondby man has no such plans and, much like goalkeeper Pepe Reina, is looking forward to working under Rodgers. Agger currently has two years left on his Liverpool contract, and he admits he would extend if the club opened talks.



"It's no secret that I'm happy to be in Liverpool. Otherwise, I would not have been there for six years," Agger told Danish website Sporten.dk.



"I have not discussed a new contract, but if they come with an offer I will surely sit down and talk with them. It's not something that is urgent, for I have contract until 2014, but if they ask I will listen.



"I am looking forward to meeting the new coach. I've seen what he has done at Swansea, and it has been impressive."